Re: [seul-edu] wine testing efforts

James Oden wrote:
>>MS Office 97
>>MS Office 2000
>>
>>Symantec Ghost (apparently there is a problem with Linux, even on the
>>latest version -- two different sites have had issues)
>>

> Why even use ghost with Linux machines?  Actually, this one way you could
> get Linux into the schools on the server side, as you can essentially do
> the same thing as ghost with a carefully crafted linux floppy (enough
> to bring up the network on machines and start running a script that
> can load images onto harddrives from a network; when I did my RHCE trainging
> eons ago, there was some discussion of this with the students).  Also,
> for Linux only solutions kickstart is the obvious answer.  I have actually
> done some work towards including the kickstart in the RH cdboot.img file,
> and makeing customized cdrom distributions that fit on one CDROM, thus allyou
> have to do put the cdrom in the machine and let it boot.  But in most
> cases just a simple netboot floppy and the kickstart file being on the
> net is sufficient.  Just some thoughts.

Because some folks are dual or even triple booting for application
compatibility, and Ghost is what they already have.  There is a need for
something that can image a machine in one shot.  Ghost also has an
advantage in the multicast server, but I haven't met anyone yet who uses it.

As a replacement, I've been looking at Partition Image
(http://www.partimage.org) but haven't tested it yet. The site seems
stale, but the sourceforge page is a little more active. The right
features are there -- Windows compatibility, all the Unix filesystems,
compression, and networkability.

Matt

--
Matt Drew