Subject: Re: Linux - Schools
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 16:30:16 -0700
From: Walt Pennington <w_pennington@yahoo.com>
To: Douglas Loss <drloss@suscom.net>

Kevin Decker from the office of Assemblymember Howard Wayne (78th
Assembly District)
George Balgos from the office of Assemblymember Juan Vargas (79th
Assembly District)
Jimmy Jackson from the office of Senator Dede Alpert (39th Senate
District)

We are also hoping that the Governor's Deputy Director - San Diego
Office, will attend the meeting.

We also have a reporter and photographer from the San Diego
Union-Tribune (http://www.uniontrib.com  circulation 800,000+) coming
to the meeting to feature Linux in a late June edition of the newspaper.

Date for Meeting:  May 30, 2002 at 1pm

Location:
Delphi Research
3954 Murphy Canyon Road
Suite D-200
San Diego, CA 92123

The purpose for the meeting is to show legislators that an alternative
operating systems exist, and use of those systems can benefit both
students, the development community and the entities required to pay
for software.

School IT administrators unfamiliar with Linux exhibit reluctance in
adopting Linux if the applications are too difficult to load.  To
eliminate that reluctance, would you ask the developers of popular
academic applications to consider an .rpm format for the software.  I
belive the ease of installation would help us in gaining adoption of
Linux in southern California.

Sincerely,
Walt Pennington

On Wednesday 29 May 2002 03:15 pm, you wrote:
 > Walt Pennington wrote:
 > > Representatives from three southern California legislators are
coming to
 > > evalutate Linux for its use in schools and we are seeking
information on
 > > school applications that are easy to load.
 >
 > When are they coming?  With your permission I'll send your message on
 > the the mailing lists we run dealing with such things and maybe we can
 > get you some valuable advise and assistance.
 >
 > > We found the list of applications, but it appears that most of the
 > > applications are in the "tar.gz" format.
 >
 > That's probably right.
 >
 > > I tried to search for .rpm files, but found no results.  In my
attempts
 > > to load three of the .tar.gz files, I have been unsuccessful.
 >
 > Again, if we have some time we may be able to get someone to help you
 > out with the installs.
 >
 > > Are any of the files in the .rpm format?  If so, how can I search for
 > > them on your site?
 >
 > I'm CCing this message to Les Richardson, who maintains the database.
 >   Les, would it be possible to search for RPMs in the download field?
 >   It's worth mentioning, Walt, that where there are multiple package
 > types available for download we usually just list the webpage you can
 > donwload them all from.  So there may be more RPMs available that is
 > immediately evident from our Index.
 >
 > > Do any of the school applications come with the versions of Red
Hat, SuSE
 > > or Mandrake?  Are any of the applications on an easy to download
CD, and

--
Doug Loss          As long as I have you there is just
drloss@suscom.net  one other thing I'll always need--