[seul-edu] [Fwd: Re: Question about Rapla]

-----Forwarded Message-----

From: Christopher Kohlhaas <zimt@gmx.de>
To: Doug Loss <drloss@suscom.net>
Subject: Re: Question about Rapla
Date: 16 May 2003 00:49:14 +0200

Hello Doug,

the initial Rapla development came out of a universtary context, so
the primary target are (still) universities, and there are some
university that use Rapla.

Schools are the second target and some desing descision were made only
to tailer Rapla for use in schools. Unfortunaly we don't get much
feedback and tracking down the log-path of our wiki doesn't show in
which context Rapla is used. I will setup a survey as soon as I finish
my thesis and then I can provide you with more information the.

Currently I know only of one school that is using Rapla and that's
the school where my mother works. You can't count that, because I've
done the setup.

Besides that, there is another serious issue that will certainly
prevent the distribution of Rapla with the ISO.

Rapla is a Java-program. We made this decision because we needed
windows compatibility. But there are some serious issues with java and
free software. The java-JDK from SUN is not free-software. There exist
some free implementations, but they currently don't implement all
features of java. Especially the swing-GUI is missing.

The Rapla-Client is using this features and won't work without them.
The Rapla-Server however doesn't use this features and I will work on
compatibility with free java implementations.

The server provides a HTML-Interface, which is platform independet.
But at the time of writing, only read-only access is implemented, which
makes it unusable without the GUI-client. It will take some time to
resolve this issues.

Suns java is included in Redhat or Suse but it's not included in
Debian for licensing issues, so I doubt it can be included in your
ISO.

Hopefully Rapla can be part of a future version of your iso and I
would like to offer any help in packaging Rapla if it will be
included.

Regards Christopher