Re: [seul-edu] Web Migration FAQ Draft 2.0

"Q Why do we have to migrate to a NT server?
A Moving the university web pages from a UNIX server to a Windows NT server
will provide the university with greater security and stronger integration
with the rest of the university systems."

Although NT may provide stronger integration with some of the university
systems, a properly configured linux box can be as secure, if not more so,
than Windows NT.

I would say better intergration because with Samba, atalk (?) and other
network protocols in place it can appear to be many types of file
servers.  This means Microsoft OS users see a NT server, Novell sees a
Novell server, Macs see an Appletalk server and linux and unix see a
regular server.  Think of it as a universal translator.  The school
system I worked for inthe past had all protocols going to one server,
worked slick and we had no down time in three years (0/1095.75 days)
compared to NT with at least about 35 days in three years.  The
applications were much worse that the server, we had major outages with
our Microsoft Exchange system, but no down time on the Lotus Notes.

We also had major problems with viruses this past year, mostly because of
the security holes in Exchange and NT.  I would say that it cost us 10 %
of our technician time, that is 10 % we could ill afford to spend on this issue.