[seul-edu] Further results from last month's subscriber survey

I've further collated the information I got from my survey of the
subscribers of this list.  I'm going to set up eleven "task groups"
composed of people who have indicated that they're interested is
specific facets of Linux in education.  These groups will, I hope, work
among themselves to come up with projects and to develop appropriate
documents or applications in their target areas.

   I'm asking interested individuals in the various areas to serve as
group leaders to keep group discussion focussed on the target area.  I
don't know if we can have separate mailing lists set up from SEUL for
each group; I'll ask Roger if that's feasible.  If not, I'll help groups
find alternative ways to set up private mailing lists.

   If you didn't respond to the survey and want to be included in one or
more of these task groups, or if you did and want to ensure that I've
put you in the appropriate group(s), send me email at dloss@seul.org
indicating your preference.

   The task groups are:

Elementary software--software to be used for teaching various subjects
to younger children in a scholastic environment.

Translations--translations into as many languages as possible of
documents on installing, configuring, and using Linux in scholastic
environments.

Documentation--generating the documents mentioned above.

Edutainment software--entertaining and educational software primarily
for use in the home.

Administrative software--software to be used to track students'
performance in a scholastic environment and to do the background tasks
of running a school.

Mathematic software--software to teach mathematics in the scholastic
environment.

Quiz software--software to do quizzing and testing.

Science software--software to teach science in the scholastic
environment.

Advocacy--promoting the use of Linux in education, and helping others to
promote and support such use.

Language software--software for learning languages, both native and
foreign.  This includes grammar and spelling, foreign phrase
equivalents, etc.

WWW educational material--using the World Wide Web for the delivery of
scholastic educational content.