Re: Re: [seul-edu] Why leave the home schooler community out?

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Ian Bicking wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 02:08:48AM -0600, Adam Cody wrote:

> > I would like to know if seul-edu can grow it's project goals
> > to include the home schooling community.
>
> This has come up before, and I think that everyone agreed that home
> schooling *could* be included, but that there wasn't anyone on the
> list who was involved in home schooling, so it was mostly
> speculation.

Actually, I know of at least three people on the list who are homeschooling.

> I think we decided that SEUL/edu should include all education,
> except maybe not higher education (some disagreement there).  Home
> schooling would definately fit in.

Agreed.

> I think SEUL/edu should remain secular -- I'm sure you can see the
> reason for that.  Maybe it would be possible to set up links to a
> couple outside resources for religious education, but it would be
> good to see what people think about that.  There's a lot of tension
> around religion and education, pulling in both directions.

I don't have anything against discussing religious education, either in a
homeschooling or a scholastic environment, so long as it's clear that SEUL/edu is
about using Linux in education of all kinds, not only for specific points of view.

> >   If you look at my bookmarks on my page you'll see there is already
> > enough "content" for a k-12 education. Authors would need to be
> > contacted and educated on open source lic. issues and give us permission
> > to use their "content".

I think we need to develop the tools to use Linux to teach in any educational
context.  That is, what we do needs to be neutral in terms of any sort of
cultural leaning that a given school may have.  We don't want to get mired into
discussing various political and ethical philosophies that we may not all share, and
let the good we can do by working on content delivery systems languish.

> > Presentations on
> > microscopes and cell biology is on the demo CD. This easily could be
> > done with most subjects within a year and presented in a open source
> > format if possible. Video could be done in RealVideo but is there an
> > open source application for audio/video content like RealVideo? Please
> > let me know if your aware of any.
>
> xanim is used for nearly all animation on Linux -- for better or worse.
> Anyway, it can play MPEG decently enough.  I think there aren't any
> good tools in Linux for making MPEGs though :-(

I found a few and passed them on to Roman Kirsanow a while ago, but I don't
remember them just now.  Roman, if you still have them could you re-send them to
the list?  Now that I think about it, I may have also sent that message to the
kidsgames mailing list, so looking at their archives might find it
<http://www.seul.org/archives/kidsgames/>.

--
Doug Loss            Always acknowledge a fault.  This will throw
dloss@csrlink.net    those in authority off their guard and give