Re: [seul-edu] ebook readers and other such devices...

Bill wrote:

> Great timing, I have just set up a public maillist to discuss such devices.
> As of yet, the list is empty, but anyone is welcome to join it.
>                             ebook-device-subscribe@onelist.com

Don't see it yet but I'll sign on it when it comes.

I also ran into this http://www.openebook.org/faq.htm . OpenEbook is an
attempt to have an open standard for the format of the text by way of
html and xml. They have a number of big supports. (Meaning commercial
companies) It actually seems like the group might have some contribution
to give. They appear to be open and free of "sticky" issue from what on
read on their site. I recommend people checking them out and those with
better technical understanding than me post some opinions on what they
have. I would be interested in hearing what you have to say.

It would be a nice added feature if we could also "state" our content
format was documented in this standard. There is no charge associated
with the specification. They are avoid copyright protection and illegal
copy so far.. saying it's the companies own responsibility. (But,
there's hints that might change) We should add our input now to that
group so the "OpenEbook" standard can stay standard and freely useable
for everyone. If they add in what I call "company protecting" features
you can bet it's a game Linux would not be able to play in nor export to
non-US educational groups.

Adam Cody