[seul-edu] Zope in education

Hi everyone,

OK, it seems like a year since I've posted anything on this list. But I've
been reading, and I think there are some great project going. Part of the
reason I haven't posted anything is that I've been up to my eyeballs with
my own computer projects at school. I'm still admining the LAN in the
science dept. and I've volunteered to coordinate and administrate the
District Web server and Web development efforts. Fun, but a lot of work.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is to inquire about the level of interest
among subscribers for Zope, the Web application server from Digital
Creations (http://www.zope.org/). I've decided to do all of our really
cool Web goodies with Zope, and I'm working with a couple students to
learn it and implement some really cool features.

I'm also posting here because I think we're approaching some sort of
critical mass of interest in using Zope in education. In the last week
alone, there have been at least 3 or 4 posts on the Zope list by different
people or groups who would like to or are developing Zope products to be
used in educational settings. I'm about to post a message to the list
myself offering to collect the ideas of those who are interested so we can
coordinate our efforts. Is there anyone on this list who is similarly
interested?

I'm working on developing a grant idea that would involve integrating our
Web site with the existing student data base. Naturally I thought of
Bruno's EDUML since Python (and therfore Zope) speak XML so fluently.
Imagine my surprise (and delight) when I discovered that Bruno himself is
using Zope on his site!

So please, anyone who is interested in Zope as it relates to developing
Web-based software for schools, please contact me and I'll make sure you
hear about what news I'm able to gather.

I would encourage everyone else to have a look at Zope. It's really great
technology. I only wish I could take a Zope pill and learn it overnight.
If only I didn't have this pesky job... I suppose a guy's gotta eat.

Later everyone,
Tim

--
Timothy Wilson       | "The faster you  |  Check out:
Henry Sibley H.S.    |  go, the shorter | http://slashdot.org/