Re: [seul-edu] Announcement: LingoTeach

Odile Bénassy wrote:
Reto Stamm announced LingoTeach, snipped:
> http://www.retostamm.com/mind/lingoteach/
In your README file, you mention your intending to move .lingo files
into another format. Could you tell us what format you have in mind ?
(In case you want to use an .xml format, it could be nice and useful to
discuss about it, in relation with EDUML effort)
Yes, indeed I am thinking about a .xml format. I have no Idea how .xml works, but essentially I will make a lesson Editor (so that many people add stuff) that will allow you to enter "Hello" in all languages and link the words with the same meanings. So then any lesson could automatically be extracted, provided all the words are filled in (Gaps may exist, for example because it would be an insult to ask someone for their name, or because noone entered anything).

For each Language, I'd store (if available)
- the word or sentence as written in the language's full
  blown alphabet
- phonetic writing
- sound
- europeanized spelling (for Japanese that would be Romanji)
- simplified spelling (for Japanese, no Chinese characters
  (Kanji), only Japanese phonetic Characters (Hiragana
  and Katakana))
- maybe multiple entries for different politeness or genders etc.
- prerequisite Words and fragments (a green ball would have
  prerequisites "a", "green" and "ball". This is not absolute, only
  to help automatic lesson tools to repeat the right things when
  the Student does not get it). I have a green ball would require
  "a green ball" and "I have " to be known. This may be simulated
  by a "Student Emulator" and the gaps recognized and filled in,
  but for now it's enough
- Special case handling. This is when one word does not really
  match the words in the other languages. Have not figured that
  out yet.

Lessons will be something like "Meeting People" "Colored Objects" "traveling by Train" "Body Parts" "Feelings" "Mechanical Engineering" "Mathematics" "Backpacking" and so on, and are hopefully quiet exhaustive. But because of the prerequisite field the SW can always figure out what is on order now. I also think of a Repository kind of thing from where one can compile lesson files based on the needs.
It's also possible to say "For me, "Meeting people" is 8 and Backpacking is 10, Mechanical Engineering is 2 out of 10." Then the SW will make sure that you advance with these Priorities.

Hope this gives everyone some Idea on what is on my mind.

Is there anyone with good info on XML? As I understand it's kind of like HTML in the respect that if you don't understand, you don't care.

Another question about the sound files. Do you think it's OK to GPL those? I would be upset in five years time if I hear myself advertising a Product I have never even tried on the radio.

Thank you all

--reto

--
Reto Stamm