Re: [seul-edu] Discuss: How software educates.

Kevin Turner wrote:

> Questions:
>   What roles do people perceive computers taking on in the educational
>         environment?
>   Has educational software engendered new methods of teaching that were
>         not previously practiced?

I believe computers should be used to help create learning situations in
which students can (1) work colaboratively in groups and (2) learn by
doing.

It seems most teaching activity today still involves presenting content
to students who are expected to absorb it merely by listening, reading
and taking notes etc. Educational reformers since the 18th century have
been saying that this is not the best way to learn. Most people learn by
trying things out for themselves. We may read about something or hear a
lecture, etc., but its not until we try to do it oursevles or try to
explain and communicate something ourselves that we actually are able to
grasp it fully.

I think computers can help faciliate a revolution in education. They can
help us reorganize the classrooms and lecture halls -- changing them
from places where students simply sit and listen to veritable
*workshops* where students work together and actively create and do
things.

Here's a few links to some champions of this view that may be of
interest:

Ben Schneiderman

http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/ben

See especially his article "Relate, Create, Donate".

Also his lecture at

http://educause.edu/conference/e98/webcast98.html where you will also
find

Alan Kay's lecture "The computer revolution that hasn't happened yet"

Roger Schank

http://www.ils.nwu.edu/~e_for_e/people/RCS.html

and of course

Seymour Papert