RE: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Child Internet protection act CIPA]

 As far as I know, there aren't any comercial packages that meet the CIPA
requirements. I have been told that CIPA requires that you be able to filter
all traffic based on content, including images. Nothing that any company has
out now will do that properly. Lot's of the filter companies say they are
CIPA compliant, but they only meet part of the requirements, and are based
on a central blacklist of sites that requires a human censor to review the
content of the sites they block. Many schools are using the standard
blocking software as a stop gap, as proof of compliance while a more
suitable solution is reasearched. This is the information that I have gotten
from the security department where I work ( MOREnet, a state research and
education network in the Mid-West).
We were even researching a way to provide an ISP level proxy solution, but
there is nothing implementable on that scale. I believe there are Unix based
solutions, so I don't know why you shouldn't be able to adapt one to Linux.
Biggest block to something like that is that most of these blocking
companies view their site lists as top secret, and would not be prone to
using open source proxy's. They would be afraid that someone would hack the
proxy, and sell their intelectual property.

I have an idea that might meet CIPA requirements. Place rows of large
mirrors behind each row of PC's in a lab, and hire someone to watch them
when ever they are on the internet. Someone else once said they thought they
should pre-cache the pages for the lesson, and not allow the lab direct
access to the internet. Another idea would be to block all at the proxy, and
only open access to the IP's and ports of the sites needed for the
classwork.

Just some ideas

Shannon Spurling
shannon@more.net