Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Child Internet protection act CIPA]

on Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 05:31:56PM -0500, Doug Loss (drloss@home.com) wrote:
> owner-seul-edu@seul.org wrote:
> >
> > From: dpmcmen@bellatlantic.net
> > To: edu-list <seul-edu@seul.org>
> > Subject: Child Internet protection act CIPA
> >
> > Does anyone know of a filter or "Netnanny-ish"  package that will run on
> > a Linux (Slackware dist) proxy server and meets the requirements of the
> > US Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA)?
> > Thanks,
> > Dan Mc

My fix would be a squid proxy, with logs checked reasonably frequently.
A suddenly "popular" site with inappropriate content would result in a
talking to (and on repeat:  suspension of privileges), and a firewall
DENY entry.  Squid logs requests by IP.  This works better on a static
IP assignment than dynamic, as it makes tracking who's downloading what
easier.  It also requires a bit of work -- the site admin should look
through the top 10 or 20 site URLs.

I like cutting through the logs with a script that returns just the host
for a given site -- fewer pages you have to look at.  Most sex sites
aren't buried deep in the URL anyway -- the first page should give you
a pretty good idea of what's there, though, naturally, if there's a lot
of traffic at some deep level, this may bear investigating.

Peace.

PGP signature