Re: [seul-edu] Two Qs for a lab: X idle logout, Netscape reaper

"Karsten M. Self" wrote:

> A couple questions from a high school lab with freestanding terminals:
>
>  1. Is there any way to set an idle timeout in X to disconnect a session
>     after some point in time?  I'm not sure this is the preferred
>     solution as the default use period (about 50 minutes during the
>     school day) may be inappropriate for use outside normal hours.

Well there's killuser <http://www.technotronic.com/issue/ku/>, possibly Killer
<http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~gerdts/killer/>, and maybe Slay
<http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/admin/idle/Slay.1.2.tar.gz>.  I don't
know if any of them will do what you're looking for, but they're worth
checking.

>  2. The lab uses Netscape for web browsing.  This results in numerous
>     problems, most signficantly the existence of persistent disconnected
>     Netscape sessions (apparantly related to use of Java) which continue
>     running.
>
>     Ideally you'd want a reaper to run when a session is closed, but I
>     don't know of a way to do this, unless the last two lines of your
>     /etc/X11/Xsession file run the window manager, then the Netscape
>     reaper, respectively.

netscape.sh <http://www.best.com/~lanning/released/> might do what you're
looking for, with a little tweaking, at least.  I haven't played with it, so
I'm not sure about that.  There's also this tip from Linux Gazette:
<http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue65/lg_tips65.html#tips/7>.

--
Doug Loss                 Always do right.  This
Data Network Coordinator  will gratify some people