RE: [seul-edu] Re: curriculum Re: [ma-linux] Linux Education

There are a few things that have happened/are happening here in Austin that
might be of interest.

A "Community Technology Center" program I used to coordinate worked with
local LUGsters and peguinophiles to offer free Intro-to-Linux classes for
adults in the community.  Full info, including "Lessons Learned" can be
found at:
www.noitacude.com/linuxalt.htm

The curriculum we used was donated, GPL'd, and revised several times by
local good-guy Dr. Phil Carinhas.  It can be found at:
http://www.fortuitous.com/reply.php?name=manuals.html

Dr. Carinhas is very interested in open-source improvement, use, and even
translation of this curriculum, so it's good to hear of others out there
with similar goals.

You may note that we, too, had the infamous distro debates, as well as the
to-CLI-or-not-to-CLI debate, among other challenges.

I should also mention a local group forming here in Austin which is
essentially aligned with SEUL-EDU and opensourceschools.org:

IMHO what would be most helpful, as these various efforts gain momentum, are
some tools for:
- organizing lists, outlines, drafts and revisions of curricula
- putting curricula online (HTML and maybe even god-forbid more
interactive/multimedia instructional materials)
- finding consensus for curricular standards (especially performance-based
assessment - meaning what someone should  be able to DO to demonstrate a
certain level of proficiency; possibly also some pedagogical foundations -
meaning what's the best way to teach something)
- helping the newbies find a navigate through these resources either alone
or as part of a class

As I move into grad school (MS in CS) and continue to work on various
interrelated projects, I may be able to assist with such efforts.

Onward!

~ Ms.G
@noitacudE.com
"Turning Education around..."