Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Alternative to Web CT?]

WebCT is considered the dinosaur in the "industry",  and there are many proprietary alternatives.  do a search for "instrumental technology " on google will give you at least 8 distinctive ones, and there are "market research" papers if you don't mind paying for them.

However, as you said, the technology is not "difficult", it is the nature of the application  which is ourside the competency of OpenSource. It is not an end-user software, such as KDE or Gnome; it is not an infrastructure software, such as LINUX, apache, openLDAP, zope, php, etc;  it is an "enterprise application", and that means there are a lot more, about 90% more from cost perspective, to implement such systems than just writing the software, and marketing is just a small portion of the 90%. Couple of good coders spend couple of weeks can give you such a system, and youself may opt to use it. However, try to get other teacher to use it, or better yet, try to get the whole school use it.

Jay Sun.
IT4School International, L.L.C.
http://www.it4school.com