RE: [seul-edu] Preliminary thoughts on a Linux in education promotion

I totally agree with what is said here. Just last week I was asked for
information regarding installing Linux into our school system. Our tech
coordinator is preparing a proposal for the superintendent and asked the
same questions that have been brought up many times before: How much, What
does it offer, and how can we support it? Although I was able to find plenty
of research (via seul), I see the need to a pre-developed package that can
be given to administrators.

This is certainly a great opportunity to work with commercial Linux
distributors to develop an Education Coalition. I have found that proving
the benefits of such a system to administrators is only the first half of
the battle. Teachers are reluctant to try anything new and there is a great
need for a system that is easy to learn and use.

Many of the tasks listed can be considered monumental for many volunteers
despite enthusiasm for the project. Perhaps the best course of action would
be to break the three steps into small manageable tasks that can all be done
without a major commitment. I agree that we need to move on this and find
away to get Linux into more schools. Count me in for the long haul.

jmellen

Jason Mellen
Palm Bay High School
Webmaster / TSA / PTV / NHS
Department Assistant - Vocational Education