Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] RE: [why schools don't adopt OSS]]]

On Tuesday 27 November 2001 14:46, Harry McGregor wrote:
> I have been using Eveolution as my monthly email dump (I
> use Pine as my normal reader, on the mail server itself),
> and have been quite hapy with it.  Rather stable now, and
> nice interface if you are at all familiar with Outlook.
>
> As far as teacher email goes, I would strongly recomend a
> web based solution, either TWIG, or similar.  The biggest
> item I can see for the educational area is to avoid tying
> to the desktop in any way shape or form.  Now of course
> Evolution would work with NFS home directories rather
> well, but it does not work from home, or from the
> airport, or from the next school district.
>
> 		Harry

snip......

I am in agreement with Harry on the point of a web solution
for email.  In the area we live, all of the districts have
embraced the notion of year-round schooling.  This means
that for 2 months (give or take) a teacher is in one of 3
classrooms shared by 4 teachers, meaning there is no one
place to keep email, if it is used.  (In the case of my
wifes district, email is not used.)

By the same token, consider that for now, a target group of
poor schools or private schools, unless very recently
built, may not be wired for networking.  Can we work with
the schools to solve that issue as well?

bill