Re: [Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] RE: [why schools don't adopt OSS]]

Roger Dingledine wrote:
> I think steps 1 through 8 below don't need to be solved by having a
> separate distribution. I think they can be solved wonderfully by having a
> repository of packages which are well-built (eg have correct dependencies)
> and come with all the packages they depend on.

One idea that comes to mind is to use Ximian's red-carpet to organize
the packages and simplify installation.  As long as the educational
packages are in properly done RPMs, it would work nicely.  I hear
that debian's apt-get mechanism is also quite nice (but incompatible
with RPM.)

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc@cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA