Re: [seul-edu] Response to Kayle RE the Fight ahead

Kevin Stiles wrote:

> The main point I was making is that if we can't get a consenses with
> the techs that use OSS software and systems to go that route, we need
> to seriously evaluate the route we are taking.  I am NOT saying that it
> is a lost cause, I am NOT saying that we (and I do mean WE, count me
> in!) should not advocate the use of OSS.

We should always evaluate our course to make sure that it's the right one.
But from what I read later in your posting, I think you're doing very well
in moving OSS into your schools!

> I agree that the skills that we should be teaching are the general
> ability to get the job done with whatever tools are available.
> Unfortunately many of our staff cannot get over the concept of what
> tool they are using.  When the District decided upon PC based
> hardware/software, one of the reasons is that they wanted to have
> student techs build and maintain the systems.  Not too many students
> can go to an employer with three years experience, formal training and
> proven ability as a computer tech.

Think of how much their employability will be enhanced if they can
demonstrate formal training and proven ability in
installing/configuring/adminning Linux/Unix systems!  If we read the trend
analyses properly, those areas are clearly where the future high-end jobs
will be.

> AR, Star, and many other "Standard" teaching apps should be easily used
> with the vendor making one minor change:  Make them web-based.  Most of
> these apps are not time-critical enough to warrant a local client.
> Those that are can be served with a Java front-end.  Development costs
> for the vendors could be greatly reduced by using OSS themselves:
> derivitive of Apache for stand-alone servers, MySql for the database,
> PHP or Perl for the scripting, someproprietary extensions to keep a
> competitor from "stealing" their system.  All the above is cross
> platform and could run on windows, mac, linux, whatever platforms.  Now
> to get the vendors on board...

This is where we need an advocacy program different from the one to convince
schools to adopt Linux/Free/OSS software.  I wrote a mini-HOWTO
<http://www.seul.org/pub/howto/CPAH.html> a while ago that addresses some of
this, but from a desktop rather than a server point of view.  IF we impress
upon them that moving their apps to platform-agnostic systems allows them to
maintain one codebase across the entire spectrum, enhancing their ability to
reach disparate markets quickly, I think we may be able to persuade at least
some of them to consider it.

> Our techs are highly cross-trained, very capable and interested in
> anything to do with computers.  They are strong in Novell, NT, Win9X,
> interaction with the networking, printing issues, and resolving
> software/hardware issues.  They also have experience with MacOS.  They
> have little or no experience with Linux, at least on the desktop.
> There are many little nuances in any system, only experience can give
> you the ability to instinctively deduce and correct problems.

This is just the kind of stuff you students need to learn to prepare them
for the future workplace!

> A small list of items that we have done/are doing that help the cause.

[snipped a bunch]

Kevin, it sounds like you're already making inroads.  Please, keep us
informed of your progress!

--
Doug Loss                 Always do right.  This
Data Network Coordinator  will gratify some people