Re: [seul-edu] Forming a coalition to promote free and open toolsand content in education

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 12:08:12AM -0500, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> What you have described above is not a 'web ring'. I think a lot of
> people react against the idea of a web ring, because they're associated
> with flashy gaudy unprofessional sites. We *must* be professional here.

I'll have to second that.  I cannot imagine, for instance, Debian
participating in such a thing.  Go visit our web site.  We aren't in any
web rings now, and my gut feelings, knowing the kind of organization
Debian is, say we never will be.

> I think a good clean list of projects, along with a short description
> of each project and its primary contributions, would be very very useful.
>
> Everybody can mirror it or link to one.

I'll have to speak to the debian-project list to see about prominent
positioning of Debian's membership in various non-profit organizations
on our web site.  Currently I just see the "partners" page which is
decidedly commercial/donation type partnership oriented.  Other than my
own list of Debian Jr. "related links" and Debian's list of links under
"Miscellaneous" (which doesn't even list our membership in Linux
International) I cannot find where on our web site we would acknowledge
membership in the proposed coalition, should Debian participate.

Whether Debian will actually participate is another matter.  But you can
count on me to be an advocate for such participation.

Ben