Re: [seul-edu] thin clients using Linux in the classroom?

Disclaimer: I'm not only "certifiable" as many of you know, but I'm
also "certified" as a Citrix administrator. At least, assuming my
certification hasn't lapsed yet - It's been a little over 3 years,
and I never did pursue their higher-level certifications when they
came out about 2 years ago.

> Citrix bandwidth is reportedly much lower than Xterminal, such as
> for
> remote applications over dial-up to "digital divide" students at
> home
> on slow computers excessed from the school, running only the Citrix
> free client off a floppy.

True - with a low-latency connection, even a 9600 bps modem is
somewhat tolerable for most tasks with Citrix.

>   Citrix server is also available for
> Solaris, which may be able to run some Linus apps. For discussion of
> X (including LBX - low bandwidth X) versus Citrix see:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-devel-list/2002-January/msg00127.html

However, Citrix has discontinued Unix support (they also ran off
another Unix, AIX IIRC?). They said they weren't making any money
off of it because most places where they wanted an X app, they
already had an X server on the client and plenty of bandwidth
between them. They did have a small niche for remote offices and
home workers, but not enough to justify spending more on it.

> However, Citrix is less flexible than Xterminal - only run apps on
> the server, compared to either server or client with X. Citrix can
> be
> expensive(watch licensing terms for server and apps), and hard to
> set
> up.

Bzzzt. ...but we thank you for playing and have some nice parting
gifts for you. :-)

They call it "published applications". Microsoft's Terminal Services
(available as Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server Edition (TSE) or
included as "terminal services" under Windows 2000) does not have
this ability - it's all or nothing. Citrix even has a mode for Win32
and Mac (again, drawing from memory that hasn't been exercised in a
couple of years) called "seamless windows", that allows you to cut,
copy, paste, and save from a published application to your local PC,
so you could be running Photoshop locally (you *wouldn't* want to do
this over a Citrix session), but when you click on your MS Word
icon, it would actually launch it on the Citrix server, though it
would look to you like it was running locally.

As far as difficult to setup, not really. The biggest pain is
dealing with Microsoft licensing (<mockingly>imagine
that!</mockingly>). You've got to have a server client access
license (CAL) (~$10 academic), a terminal server CAL (TSCAL) unless
you have the same version or higher windows on your desktop (i.e.,
TSE doesn't require a TSCAL if you're running NT4 Workstation, Win2k
Pro, or WinXP, Win2k with terminal services doesn't require a TSCAL
if you're running Win2k pro or WinXP, but does if you're running NT
or 9x, Mac, anything else) (~$40 academic). This much will allow you
to run the MS client (which only works on WfW3.11 or better), or as
somebody else here mentioned rdesktop.org - full desktop only. The
Citrix add-on is about $200/seat retail (the bidding process can
usually get them to you significantly cheaper). They've just changed
their model from concurrent (in version 1.8) to per seat (in version
XP).

The actual software installation is a breeze - much easier than X,
in my experience. Expensive, yes - difficult, no.

>   Inside a school building, with today's high speed LANs,
> bandwidth may be less important. Also check out multi-OS linking VNC
> 3.3.4 --
> http://www.realvnc.com/pipermail/vnc-announce/2002/000037.html  --
> with:
>
>   * vastly improved low-bandwidth performance
>   * automatic protocol selection based on line speed
>   * efficient multi-viewer ("classroom") support on the Windows
> server

We also use VNC, but I use it for a completely different function
altogether. I use it for remote assistance. Somebody in one of our
elementary schools 9 miles away can call with a problem, and I can
take over their PC and explain what I'm doing whilst fixing the
problem - saves driving time and helps them figure out their own
answers at the same time. I haven't seen the "multi-viewer" support
though - I may have to investigate.