Re: Database for Software List

No damage to us but still busy with power outages here in Taiwan. So I will
keep this quick. I like the age based system. Furthermore, I also like the
bracketing of intended groups. Ie. individual, small group, large group. It is
quite useful for teachers who are looking for tutorial, seminar or lecture
style programs.

Cordially,
S. Barret Dolph

PS. All of us in Taiwan are humbled by the concern which many countries
extended to us during our difficult times. Thank you.

Robert Hopcroft wrote:

> I just read through all the replies and thought I would try to post a
> summary. It appears that school systems are broken down in so many
> different ways, that although basing things on a school system breakdown
> might be ideal, in reality it doesn't appear practical. It appears that our
> best approach is to use years of schooling which is basically the same as
> grade. Forms often have questions such as years of schooling or highest
> grade attended. This is readily equated to age by adding 5 or 6. I guess it
> depends on how kindergarten is counted. I would tend to count preschool and
> kindergarten as zero, first grade as one, etc. We're really after a rating
> system for software which basically minimizes the teachers work by
> selecting out what is inappropriate namely highschool for first graders.
> This rating system will also work for books. At the top end 13-16 for
> university, 17 for 5th year or masters and 18-19 for doctorate, 20 post
> doctorate??? I would say use 0-19 if you want 20 categories or 0-20 if you
> want it to end at a number like 20. Things get pretty fuzzy at the top
> anyway. We may end up with software for teaching teachers, who knows. As
> was mentioned one can adjust a query up or down based on where a particular
> class fits. For adult education, one would simply pick an appropriate
> level. For example, if I wanted to learn a subject that I knew little or
> nothing about, I would probably pick the highschool (9-12) level as a
> starter. Anyone disagree.
>
> Bob
begin:vcard
n:Dolph;S. Barret
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.angelfire.com/on/WhiteHorse/index.html
org:White Horse English Development Center
version:2.1
email;internet:white129@ms7.hinet.net
title:Headmaster
x-mozilla-cpt:;-1