Re: CVS (was: C++ vs Java)

I may be able to help if you tell me more about your troubles.

Here's the basics of setting up CVS as it works for me (we have 3 Sites, one in
Europe, 2 in the US):

Once your binarys (after make install) are in the Path, you set the Environment
Variable CVSROOT to point to some directory where you want the Repository, then
say cvs init.
That should do the trick.
Then you can add a new Module by (bad but real easy way) creating a Directory in
the Repository, or by using cvs import which takes some arguments.
After that, anyone with CVSROOT and the binary can say cvs checkout xxx and gets
module xxx.
Files can then be added by creating them, then cvs add followed by cvs commit.
Bells and whistles can be added later, but I hardly find it necessary.
One important thing is that everyone is in the same group.

Students only need to know about cvs commit, cvs update, cvs add for starters.

Hope this is of some help

--reto

--
Reto Stamm