Re: [seul-edu] email browser client

If you run either POP3 or IMAP servers on your Linux host, your teachers
will be able to use any POP3 or IMAP capable client to get and read their
mail. These include Netscape and Eudora; I don't know about IE.

POP3 (Post Office Protocol 3) and IMAP (I forget what it abbreviates) are
services that allow someone with an account on a system access to his or her
mail file. POP3 downloads it to the client; IMAP can either download it or
keep it on the server.

You don't say what distribution or version of Linux you are running, but
most full-strength distributions include both servers (though not all
distributions install them as defaults). They are run through inetd; to
enable them, you edit the file /etc/inetd.conf to uncomment (remove the
leading #) from the line for each service, save the file, then estart inetd
(several ways to do this; one is "killall -HUP inetd").

One bit of warning -- if you have an older version of your distribution, you
may be running a version of imapd that contains a security hole. Check with
the vendor of your dsitribution for security updates before you enable imapd
in any host that is accessible over the Internet.

This is general advice only.  For more detail, check the man pages for these
services. Please don't hesitate to post a followup with more specific
questions if you need to.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com