[seul-edu] xtract/XML translator

I've been looking at xtract (it was mentioned here before, in
reference to EduML, I think?) -- it's exactly what I'm looking
for, but not Open Source :-/  I was wondering if anyone knew
any sort of similar program for doing XML transformations, or
a different implementation of XML script.  I wouldn't find
beta or maybe even good alpha-quality software, as long as
there's active development.

The project I'm working on is providing some annotation of the
mailing list archives, then generating various pages based on
those annotations (like, by topic, referenced links, narrative
collations of threads, etc.)  xtract/XML script looks like it
would be a lot easier than using a general scripting language
with XML support (Python, perl, etc.)

Thanks...

| Ian Bicking                 |  bickiia@earlham.edu                |
| 4869 N. Talman Ave. Apt. G  |  http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~bickiia |
| Chicago, IL 60625           |                                     |