Re: [seul-edu] Doc Project will move again!

Hi Roger,

The idea of a meta-document seems like a good idea, but I also think, an actual
configuration useful to a school is often missing in many of these services.
They often assume the reader knows a lot about what they are trying to do.  I
found this to be a difficult and time consuming way to learn.  I have no big
desire to repeat everything others have said, just to make it useful with clear
examples and to relate that to school topics.

IMP for example has 4 different docs one needs to read to set it up.  You have
to know what you are looking for and what the decision you make mean.  Or the
sticky bit for group/class accounts.  Anyway, I agree and we will do our best
not to just repeat what others have done.

As far as I know I have seen very little documentation on how to use OSS user
tools outside of GIMP (of which I have now seen about 3 books).  However, I was
going to have them written in a how to format.

How to use abiword to create tables with the tabs instead of just explaining
what tabs are and how to use them.  The same types of things with gnumeric.  I
wrote one of these several years ago for the Windows platform and used it to
teach computer basics.  I used only the software installed by default on a
windows system (so I didn't cover spreadsheets -- the school didn't have that
much software).  Basically, I was figuring on modeling them like IDG's Teach
Yourself series.  Tons of examples and things to do -- minimal text.  I haven't
seen one of these for Gnome/kde, but I will have her poke around and see what
other tutorials she can find.