Re: [seul-edu] open textbooks

At 04:30 PM 10/17/00 +0200, Bill Tihen -- Information Technology wrote:
>I wrote one a year and a half ago, because my school had no money to buy me
text
>books.  It was based on using windows.  It was helpful to my students, it
took a
>lot of effort -- but if every teacher did this eventually, we would have a lot
>of them and teachers could suggest fixes and additions to the maintainer.  My
>idea of the User Docs is precisely this.  We'll see how far we get.

And where can I obtain a copy of it? Is it released under some sort of Open
Source license? Have you been getting feedback and maintaining it?

How much work was it to do? Would you do it again?

Bill, I'm not intending to pick on you here. But these discussions tend to
be severely lacking in input from people who have actually created
freely-available e-texts. It would be helpful to know what, if anything, has
stopped this one of your from becoming widely available. This might let the
duscission of "what needs to be done" be a bit less speculative and
theoretical, more concrete.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com