Re: [seul-edu] Student Information Standard

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Odile [iso-8859-1] Bénassy wrote:

> One or two things you must know :
> - it's easy to dump a database into XML coding
> - it's easy to convert data from one XML format to another
> For both of these tasks, there are already a lot of software, including
> free stuff. I won't give you URLs because I can't take time for that
> now, but I know there is a lot of them.
>
> How many people are interested in this topic on the list ?

I'm interested.  I've looked into using EduML with K12Admin in the past.
My question is how do you sync data up between applications.  If your
school management software exports an EduML file with all the students in
Mr. Jones Grade 11 Math class, and Mr. Jones uses his EduML-aware
gradebook program to enter marks for his midterm exam, how does that data
get imported back into the school administration software?  When does it
get imported back in?  How are conflicts handled?  How are permissions
handled?  What if Mr. Smith tries to import marks for Mr. Jones' Grade 11
Math class by mistake?  I guess these kinds of permissions could be
handled by the school administration software exclusively?

Steve Tonnesen