Re: [seul-edu] Re: Student Information Standard (EduML)

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Manuel Gutierrez Algaba wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Bruno Vernier wrote:
> >
> > Here is what I have gleaned in 2 years of work and reflection on this topic:
> >
> > 1. There are only 2 meta-standards worth discussing for medium to large
> > applications: SQL and XML.  Both of them are becoming extremely important
>
> I have only one thing to say. I don't know any educative piece
> of software written in SQL or XML.

AUC (which is GPL) uses both SQL and XML, each fairly heavily.  I know of
many open-source projects that use SQL.  Also, XML is gaining a lot of
popularily in open-source, especially in the GNOME project, which is using
it as a primary means of data interchange between applications.

Even if these applications didn't use XML, it would still be the
"right" way to design a standard such as EduML.

> SQL/XML seems hard for GPL'ed projects, specially for
> education.
> SQL/XML seems utopia for commercial educative projects.
>
> Anyway take my opinion with a grain of salt.
>
> ---
> MGA

  David Moore       California Institute of Technology
 <dcm@acm.org>     http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~dmoore