[seul-edu] Re: Student Information Standard (EduML)

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 12:23:19AM +0000, Manuel Gutierrez Algaba wrote:

> I like utopia. And I like high level data types (I'm a pythoneer,
> I still don't know Zope, yet ). And XML is interesting, but
> I've seen lots of discussions about XML and choosing keys for
> DTD's ... and it's not nice. XML in GPL projects can be used
> as a standard way of communication. You write your GPL project,
> with your data in your propietary format and if your project
> gets big/useful, then you have conversors to export your
> data. I think Glade suffered this process. I mean that
> it's a bad idea to speak XML from day 1 in a GPL project.
> XML is nice for day 234.

OK.  I reluctantly agree based on personal experience:
I tried XML from day 1 in a couple of projects and got bogged down.

However, you yourself imply that for large projects (and I include GNOME),
it may be appropriate early on... even if it is painful.

Also, I reserve the right to change my reluctant mind later on as things
evolve and perhaps it will become comfortable for small projects to start
with XML from day 1.

Saving it for day 234 may become painful if a client/server model becomes
generally adopted as opposed to just a import/export model (see previous
post for the distinction between the two)

Bruno