Re: [seul-edu] Alternatives to NIS

micros@azstarnet.com said:
>  I am still working on ways to increase security before attempting a
> high school install, so far we have: no floppy drive, no local hard
> drive, root over nfs, either NIS/LDAP or for some  of the systems a
> shared passwd file, due to the root over nfs.

Don't use bog-standard NFS if you want any form of security in the face of
attackers with physical access. Secure-NFS ought to be safe. AFS too, but
there are no production-quality Linux clients (cue Arla developers to tell
me I'm wrong...)

I think there were Secure-RPC patches for Linux somewhere. Try
www.kerneli.org.

--
dwmw2