RE: [seul-edu] Alternatives to NIS

Ah but how can you be sure you are the only one with root access to a *NIX box?  How do you know someone didn't bring in a laptop and simply plug it into an active port?

As others have pointed out, perhaps the problem is more with NFS than NIS.  Right now I am up to my eyeballs in NIS+ stuff and really am ready to throw it out the window.  This is something that NT does waaaaay better than UNIX.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Prentice [mailto:dprentice@uno.edu]
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2000 7:41 PM
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Alternatives to NIS

Chris,
Since I am the only one with root access to any of the machines (everybody else is a student), it sounds like NIS should be OK. Right?
    Also, before setting up NIS I am trying to move the students' home directories to a central hard drive located on the server. The drive is set in the server's /etc/exports as rw for all users via NFS. Other machines see it just fine and can read from it. However, they won't write to it. When I create a username on the server and then go to another machine where I created the same username and password with the NFS directory as its home directory, I keep getting the message that it is a read-only directory. Do I change something with chmod, or what?
Thanks,
Dave Prentice
prentice@instruction.com
http://www.originsresource.org