Re: [seul-edu] Alternatives to NIS

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Samba can be a PDC can't it? I thought it just couldn't be a BDC.
> I've had samba happily doing authentication and fileserving for the NT
> workstations on my ex-employer's company network.

Not quite. Samba can quite happily be a BDC. The PDC code is very
experimental at the moment. However (as there always is), SambaNG (Next
Generation) is reasonably stable as a PDC, but apparently fairly hopeless at
file sharing. So, the 'compromise' is to run SambaNG (I think that's what
it's called) as a PDC, and 'normal' Samba as file/print sharing. Remember
*not* to put Samba as a PDC if there's an NT PDC on the network - I've been
told it can blue-screen the NT box.

When you say it was doing authentication, do you mean in the capacity of a
Domain Controller or just 'standard' workgroup/password authentication?

Dan
--
dankolb@ox.compsoc.net  Oxford University Computer Society Secretary

--I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any comments or
  opinions expressed; don't trust everything you read above--