Re: [seul-edu] Helping Digikata

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 02:10:55PM -0400, Doug Loss wrote:
> We never responded to that so far as I saw.  I'd like to see some
> discussion on Alan's points 1 and 2; we may have a good chance to
> influence the development of this server appliance.  Alan's on the
> mailing list, I think.  Aren't you, Alan?

Yes I am on the list. And actually, a couple of people responded privately.
But more are certainly welcome. Maybe it would help to let the list know
a little more about what Digikata is doing.

Because the education sector is so diversified, in our proposal we
narrowed our goals to help serve two "template" educational
environments.  We're currently analyzing the needs of these
environments and writing feature requirements. We're also getting a
better idea of what base software components we want to provide in a
standard installation.

The Pomona Academy at the Villiage is a technology based charter
school. Currently, we're a little behind on their needs analysis.
This year is their very first year in operation, I've been trying not
to occupy too much of their time.  They're dealing with getting the
school operating smoothly. Thats OK, were moving further forward on
the other template enviroment while things settle out at the Academy.
What we have discussed there is the need for a classroom teaching lab
to be equipped with the server software, probably used in teaching
basic Linux system administration.  Currently, I'm looking at their
use of the LPI level 1 objectives as a 2-semester curriculum.

The Pomona Child Development Program combines the administration of
several state and federal child programs into a single organization as
part of the school district.  Their main needs is to collect client
data for multiple government programs, assess program qualifications,
administer the program assistance, and provide reporting data to the
hosting agency of the appropriate program or programs.

Here we're looking at using a zope-based package backed by a postgresql
database, we're currently collecting all the program enrollment forms
and are going to create a core data schema for posgres.

If anyone wants to know more, feel free to drop me a line, or if the
traffic isn't too bad, we can continue on the mailing list.

--alan

--
Alan Chen
President and Lead Developer