Re: [seul-edu] Presentation Software

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 04:00:44PM +0100, Luis Miguel Tavora wrote:

> - could have some degree of "animation" (not just ps/pdf files);
> - could afterwards be accessed in different platforms (mainly windows
>           users);
> - could easily incorporate (heavy?) math formulas + charts
>
> I guess PowerPoint would do the job but that is out of question :-)

I don't know about the animation, but LaTex is great with heavy math
formulas.  It can also easily include externally generated charts.
It's actually used by many academic mathmatical journals for their
layout. There's an application called Lyx which provides a graphical,
word processor like front end to LaTex.

You can export PDF, HTML, text, PS from a Lyx (or LaTex) generated
file.  I've used Lyx pretty extensively myself for the professional
presentation that results. The HTML or PDF output would likely be the
most useful for others to view on different platforms.

There are also (which I have no personal experience with)
Kpresenter  (http://www.koffice.org/kpresenter)
Magic Point (http://www.mew.org/mgp/)
Star Office (whatever the presentation module of that is)
HTML        (generated by hand)

Just curious, why is powerpoint out of the question?  As much as I
favor Open Source software, powerpoint does allow you to distribute
a view-only application - although getting the support to work smoothly
across various incarnations of the MS platforms may be problematic.

Good luck,
-- alan

--
Alan Chen