Re: [seul-edu] Software Freedom Season

    This has been an interesting thread (I don't know where the original
thread came from:-), but let's try to wrap this back to education.

    In schools that I deal with I only talk about "open source" as a
development concept and as a way of teaching programming.  My focus is on free
software, with the primary meaning of "free" being that of "freedom" and
"flexibility."

    I've found many schools and businesses aren't interested in source code --
period.  They know they're never going to recompile things and they equate
"custom programming" with "expensive."  It doesn't really matter if this is
correct or not, but that's the way they feel.

    I pitch Linux solutions as having "business-friendly" and
"school-friendly" license agreements.  I point out that they don't have to
agree to a license "agreement" which allows for software audits and for
privacy violations.  I point out that their administrators don't have to waste
time by counting software licenses and turning into software police.  I point
out how if they need another computer they can just buy it and they can
legally copy the software.  I point out how they can use the exact same
software at home as they do for work.  I point out that they have multiple
software vendors to choose from.  Yada, yada, yada.  The point I'm driving
home is freedom and flexiblity.

    Only afterwards do I mention that they also have the source code and can
do some custom programming if they want.  If they're interested in that idea,
I explain the Koha <http://www.koha.org> system, how it was first developed,
and how now other libraries are contributing some money for custom programming
that will in turn benefit everyone using Koha.  (Other examples of this idea
would be great; the Koha example works well for education but doesn't hit the
mark for businesses.)

    I agree with the point in this thread that the term "open source" hasn't
done what it was supposed to do.  Yes, it has hidden the "free" idea of
software for businesses, but the term has been corrupted by Microsoft, the
APL, and all sorts of other non-free licenses/ideas.  To me, hitting people
with the term "free software" and focusing on freedom (not strictly focusing
on cost) is the way to go.

--
"If the current stylistic distinctions between open-source and commercial
software persist,  an open-software  revolution could lead to yet another