Re: [seul-edu] Article: PCs diverted _INTO MY SCHOOL DISTRICT

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Leon Brooks wrote:

> On Friday 25 October 2002 10:48 pm, Dennis Daniels wrote:
> > I'm surprised nobody is asking how they can get companies in their own
> > country, city, town to do the same thing.
>
> Start by spamming building managers (large real estate companies who do this,
> as well) offering to remove old computer equipment for free, pass the true
> junk onto a recycling agency and keep the change.
>
> Cheers; Leon

One serious word of caution in this direction: Toxic.

Most old computer hardware is now considered to be toxic waste.  There
are, depending on your location, litanies of rules and regs regarding the
proper disposal.  In California for one example, most waste stations have
disposal costs associated with more than one monitor.  I don't think I need
to elaborate on the rationale for this, but be sure of *all* local-to-you
disposal rules and costs before accepting more than the occasional piece of
hardware.  It is possible you might end up considered a hazardous waste
handler.

regards
Bill