Re: [seul-edu] Slowest Computers Useful For

On Monday 28 October 2002 20:06, Les Richardson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> What is the slowest computer that can be used for particular
tasks?

> 1) X Terminal - I would suggest a 486-66 is the lowest end machine
that
> should be used for this. A 486-33 just doesn't seem to make the
pixels
> move fast enough, although some may find this useful.

I started life-wit-Linux back in 1993 on a 386/40 with 16 Meg RAM. X
was very workable, although starting of programs (Netscape 3!) could
take some time.  But so does Staroffice on a P-400.

Mind you: It was kernel 0.99 and Xfree 2 in that time. Both programs
have become much bigger since. But if you dig out the ancient stuff,
I think a 386/40 would do in a pinch.

Paai

--
Dr J.J. Paijmans