RE: [seul-edu] OSS for schools

Most people will find trivial problems with something new because of their
resistance to change, especially when they have to confront their dependence
on technology they really shouldn't have to relearn, such as word processors
or spreadsheets.  We're at a time and place where people know what they want
the computer to do but they don't want to spend a lot of time learning how
to do it, which is why Microsoft gets so much repeat business:  it's
familiar.  If you really want to implement an open source solution in
replacement of an existing system, you are going to have to bear the burden
of coddling the faculty and staff though that change until the new system
becomes transparent to them.

William P. Worden
william@wordens.net