Re: Customized Electronic Text collections

Ray, I can see you are kinda on board with this line of thinking.  My wife is the
teacher, and she sees it as a NECESSARY step forward.

More comments below in your original...

Bill

Ray Olszewski wrote:  in part....

> Some components of this idea are old hat, and others are hard to implement.
> I say this not to discourage you, but to try to focus the discussion on
> finding ways to overcome the real problems, which I see as basically the
> hardware side of this idea, not the content/software side.

In keeping with  your later comments, I think that the software side needs some
discussion.  The hope is that the full contents of a document, including
specialized info regarding fonts and characters specific to the text could be
imbedded, either as a "portable font" or as a bitmap image indexed within the
text.  After discussing this with one of the E-book type developers, a bitmap is in
the current thought process.  I would look to a document spec using a data header,
similar to RTF info, that can be ignored on a strictly ascii reader or referenced
by the endowed reader to plug the goodies in where needed.

> The old part:
>
> Text-file collections of public-domain literature have been around for
> years. The old Project Gutenberg is a name many will remembe, and there was
> at least one big site in the UK as well. I'm out of date on what's happened
> to these efforts, but they should be easy to track down.

The current location for this project is, http://www.promo.net/pg/index.html.
I did run into the Project Gutenburg people at Seybold.  I didn't think to talk
about this idea though.  Another missed opportunity.

> There's also a commercial part to this: several publishers sell CDs with
> technical texts on them. Two sources that many on this list may recognize
> are O'Reilly (www.ora.com) and Dr. Dobb's Journal (www.ddj.com/cdrom). These
> commercial CDs aren't cheap, but they do deliver real savings over their
> print equivalents.

The hope is to use "copyleft" type documents for more current technical items.
Textbook rights would obviously require seperate negotiation.

> The new part:
> So ... I think the best way to pursue this idea is to focus on the problem
> of creating a small device (say the size and weight of a mass-market
> paperback, about 7" by 4" (and 1" thick), and 10 ounces - apologies to the
> Europeans, but I still don't think metric) that has a decent display, some
> means of interacting with it (stylus-based, perhaps?), and some way to get
> the texts into mass storage (small hard disk? the things they use in cameras?).

The hope is a standard VGA port and firewire or usb connection to the outside world
to extend an otherwise self-contained device.  Grid did some marvolus things with
stylus based devices.  A flash memory card ala PCMCIA standards woud be great.

> It also needs to be inexpensive enough that there could be a way to assure
> that each student had one -- think about pricing comparable to the TI
> calculators that math classes use

The cost savings to a district that pays upwards of $70 per "Approved" text would
offset this to a large part.  Tracy,  Califrnia has a progran in "beta" right now
using modified laptops ( closed to school relaed use, they die if not docked in
like 5 to 10 days with the school).

> -- and have sufficient battery life that
> poser losses would not disrupt classrooms. (Does anyone know how school
> handle these issues now in the context of calculators?)

If developed using flash memory, power use is minimal.  Just have an exchange
program for the batteries and a AA option.

> An embedded Linux solution would be nice for it; there's certainly been work
> along that line. If the device were available and priced aggressively enough
> that it gained market share, the initial content would be easy to collect
> and organize for presentation.

Just what I would hope for.