Re: Major interview

   From: Michael Williams <michael@haywood.k12.nc.us>

   > Ray Olszewski wrote:
   >
   >> The general question is the relative merits of encouraging
   >> EdSoft developers
   >>
   >> to port their (proprietary, fee based) applications to Linux,
   >> versus relying
   >>
   >> on the Open Source/free software community to create the needed
   >> apps and distribute them at no charge.

   In our district, 'free' opened the door to linux as an NOS. It will
   take 'free' to get it on the desktop, but once it's there, I expect
   that the proprietary software applications will follow as soon as
   they realize the potential for profit.

Yes, you are totaly right. Edusoft companies doesn't need us to take
the decision to port applications. We can advocate as hard as we can,
they will do so only if there is profit to be done, not because we ask
them. We should spend more energy asking developper to start free
project education oriented.

--
Hilaire Fernandes
Home page http://cran.mit.edu/~hilaire