Re: Major interview

Trevor & Ellen Witt wrote:

> In reply:
> There are two main areas of interest one is computers as a tool for
> information gathering, ananlysis and reporting. As such a tool it has to be
> integrated into all curriculum areas. This I believe can be done with
> 1. A web browser
> 2. E-mail
> 3. Presentation package such as Kid Pix, which allows multimedia
> 4. Integrated simple word processing (DTP even better), spread sheet and
> database.
> So schools do not need a lot of software to make effective use of a whole
> range of information technologies.
>
> The other software is computer assisted learning programmes. Thses can cover
> a whole range of areas and would be picked on their merits.
> I have no problem with paying for software, I just cannot afford the Black
> hole effects of something like Microsoft. When you set up a network costs
> just escalate. Intrananet is also a good way for staff and students to get
> to grips with network capability.
>
> If the Edsoft products are good quality, and meet the educational
> requirements, paying a fee for them is not an issue with me. I feel people
> should be able to be recompensed for their work but the exponential growth
> of costs is a killer to most small educational communities.
>
> People also expect it to look like windows based interfaces, and to be as
> easy as clikcking a mouse!!
>
> Trust this is some use!!!

Well, as far as me, and our school goes, this is pretty much our thinking. I
think the problem with asking if we, that is schools, would pay for software is
that we do not really budget this way. We have to consider how to effectively
establish a decent computer program within a budget.

In someways Linux is more expensive. I can set up Windows and get a class going
with Internet etc by myself. (Not set up a LAN.) I cannot does this by myself on
Linux so I need to hire help.

Software programs. Most classes using computers are useless. I think the future
of great classes will be on networked computers. While some CD type programs are
superb for review and/or individual exploring they are not condusive to seminar
type setting. With a rudimentary system, five computers, Linux, network cards,
and netscape we have begun to conduct classes which are closer to a seminar
setting. (If more details on the educational structure of classes would be
interesting I can expand on this.)

Cordially,
S. Barret Dolph
White Horse Development Center
Taipei Taiwan
begin:vcard
n:Dolph;S. Barret
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.angelfire.com/on/WhiteHorse/index.html
org:White Horse English Development Center
version:2.1
email;internet:white129@ms7.hinet.net
title:Headmaster
x-mozilla-cpt:;-1