Re: Major interview

Thanks for the feedback, Roman. Let me pursue one of your replies a but more.

At 11:04 PM 9/4/99 +0200, malonowa wrote [in part]:
>> Also, what about the role of university-level education programs? Open
>> Source projects generally reflect the interests of computer-science types
>> largely, I think, because CS graduate students play a major role in Open
>> Source development (look at the history of GIMP, apache, Mosaic, for
>> examples - there are no doubt many more, but these I can name off the top
>of
>> my head). What if students pursuing Ph.D and Ed.D
>>degrees (and their non-US
>> equivalents) were mobilized to develop ed software based on good
>>pedagogical
>> approaches? What would it take to create an interest comparable to that of
>> graduate CS students in other types of software?
>>
>This is interesting. Whenever I've spoken to ed students they usually have
>plenty of ideas for using technology in schools. Perhaps it's a combination
>of youthful energy and  not having been ground down by the system yet.

Whatever. The barrier to their creating something tangible, I'd guess, is
institutional ... the need a way to collaborate with CS students. Advanced
Ed students probably aren't (or rarely are) skilled programmers too, and any
good ed app requires both sets of skills. I know there are some on this list
who work or study in universities ... do you see any mechanisms that might
be developed to encourage Ed and CS graduate students (undergrads too?) to
collaborate on development of the sorts of teaching apps (as distinct from
school-management apps) that schools need?

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com