Re: Major interview

A comment on the issue of "edsoft costs a lot of money to produce
because of the royalty fees paid for the included content." The point is
well taken. let's flip it on its head.

Dumb idea:
- there are millions of video cameras and portable audio recording
devices in the world today, even in less-developed countries
- a significant number of kids in schools worldwide have access to such
devices
- video and audio encoding equipment (composite video to digital format,
audio to MP3) is getting cheaper by the day
- the Internet allows for instant, worldwide collaborative projects

So, how difficult would it be to set-up an OpenSource-centered project
where students worldwide create audio and video content (of their own
city, museums, significant historical places, musical traditions,
typical dances, etc.) and contribute such _royalty-free_ content to a
central database? Then, edsoft authors can take such "free" (think free
speech here) content, add their intellectual talent (historical
background, pedagogical expertise, etc.) and create OpenSource edsoft
materials? At a much lower cost than traditional software development
costs.

Is that too crazy an idea, folks?

Regards.

--
Jose C. Lacal, Chief Vision Officer

jose.lacal@openclassroom.org
http://www.openclassroom.org

OpenClassroom: bringing the power of OpenSource to Education.