smbpasswd (was Re: Offtopic: Setting Passwords)

I am interested in adding a samba server type to the roster project...

I need to be able to do several things to make this happen correctly:
  Mainly,
    - create a samba user called "x" with password "y" that is automatically
      fed to whichever samba tool is appropriate for that use
    - completely remove a samba user from the samba passwd file
       (NOT just disable, I need to be able to remove the entry without a
        trace)
  Icing-on-the-cake:
    - create and remove a group
    - make an existing user part of a group
    - remove an existing user from a group

One thing I don't understand: what is a "samba group" if such a thing
exists? If not, are unix groups sufficient to allow or deny fileshares
and printshares?

-Jim

---
Jim Lynch       Finger for pgp key