Re: Major interview

At 12:33 PM 9/8/99 -0700, Harry  McGregor wrote [in part]:

>You can build a great Xterm for well under $500:
>
>As soon as memory comes down again, you could up it to 128MB, this would
>use etherboot to netboot over the network (requires a switched port for
>good Xperformance, netgreat 10/100 24port rack mount switches are only
>$705USD)
>
>Mid tower case						= $41
>64MB ram						= $75
>NIC (10/100)						= $10
>Motherboard (ss7)					= $67
>8MB video card (128zx)					= $26
>K6-2 400MHz cpu (way overkill)				= $41
>Heatsink/fan (big one, our schools are swamp cooled)	= $12
>17" digiview monitor					= $170
>Floppy disk drive					= $12.50
>						Total 	= $454.50

This is tremendous overkill for an XTerminal ... though the big monitor (the
single most expensive component) is a nice feature.

Any old 486 will convert into a decent XTerminal, and just yesterday I saw
complete (except for monitor) '486 refurbs advertised locally at US$39.95.
(May also need a NIC, though the ad says "great for network use").

See http://www.silvervalley.k12.ca.us/chobbs/xterms/ for a good discussion
of theXTerminal approach.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com