RE: New educational app

On Sun, 12 Sep 1999, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> That explains it -- I routinely run Netscape with both Java and Javascript
> disabled. I also have it set to accept only cookies limited to the Web
> server's domain, and to warn about them -- no cookie warning popped up.

I'll look into that.  The cookie should definitely be of the same domain.
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that library.advanced.org has
a number of IP aliases.

> You might want to edit the try-it-out page to warn people about the
> requirements. Whatever the merits of requiring these capabilities, any login
> that is "trickier than it looks" is a design flaw.

Agreed.  This somehow slipped past me in the scramble to get this up
August 16.  (Thinkquest cuts off our access to the server during the
judging phase which will last until October or so).  The warning will be
in version 0.5.2 which hopefully I'll have available for download before
the end of the week.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  :)

Regards,

David

> At 01:30 PM 9/12/99 -0400, David C. Moore wrote [in part]:
>
> >I'm the author of AUC.  Just to answer the question about userid/password
> >combos, the login is trickier than it looks.  Your browser needs to handle
> >both cookies and javascript for it to work.
> [rest deleted]

> Ray Olszewski                                        -- Han Solo
> Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com

  David Moore       California Institute of Technology
 <dcm@acm.org>             http://www.mbhs.edu/~dmoore