Idea: Language teaching tool/database

Hi,

The following is an Idea for Language teaching system that would work
nicely as free Software and Content. I hope it is appropriate to send
this here.

The basic Idea is to build a Database that links words and phrases in
one language to an abstract meaning that then links to words and phrases
of the same meaning in other languages.
Each word or phrase is stored with the native writing, phonetic writing,
recording of a native speaker who is saying it, and maybe later some
more information (like in what situations this would be appropriate).
The database would start to be useful after a few hundred entries,
because it will then be possible to extract a custom set of words that
are most useful to the student. This can be easily done by some
questions of what you actually want to go do in the country where the
language is spoken (the requirements are quiet different if you go
backpacking or go on a business trip). It then sets up a test and
evaluates your ability to communicate, then generates a set of words and
phrases that are most useful for you. You can then download them and
play them on an MP3 player (like those courses that you buy on tape or
CD), or you can download them and learn interactively on a PC.
The basic stock of word to word translations can be taken from free
dictionary projects, and many people have sound cards where they could
add one or two words.

So why am I posting this here without anything to show? My problem is
it's too much work so I can't do it all by myself. So I'd like to know
if anyone would be interested to help. I could provide some web space,
CGI and things like that, and I can also do PERL scripts, Database stuff
and the like, and I could add words for (swiss) German and Japanese, but
I just can't do it all alone. If you are interested, let me know...

Thanks a lot

--reto

--
Reto Stamm