Re: Cheap hardware X-terms?

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> This is not as good as it sounds. Remember that Localtalk runs at about 160
> kbps, or at 2% of the speed of regular Ethernet. Running any significant
> number of XTerminals over such a slow line would probably deliver
> performance that users would find unsatisfactory. All the thought behind
> using XTerminals has focused on LANs that run at least at 10 mbps.

Thanks for the info Ray... I'm not an expert on Mac hardware at all so I
am unfamiliar with the limitations of LocalTalk. Perhaps though a more
limited GUI interface such as nano-X would be implementable with this low
of bandwidth. Also, with less colors comes less bandwidth, so that may
allow for acceptable performance. Graphics was always a limitation of the
Macs [ducks to avoid flame war :)]...

> Anyway, do you know if any Mac-based Linux supports Localtalk (not
> Appletalk, which is a higher-level protocol, but Localtalk, which is Layer 1)?

No idea, sorry. It's not in the FAQ:
http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/docs/faq.html

--
Michael Hamblin            http://www.utdallas.edu/~michaelh/