Re: Nov. meeting with Squeak team--call for discussion

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Doug Loss wrote:

> Scott Raney wrote:
> >
> > 2) Download a copy of the MetaCard Starter Kit and the MetaTalk
> >    Programmer package from the MetaCard WWW site
> >    http://www.metacard.com/  The current UI doesn't look like
> >    HyperStudio, but one that does could be constructed very easily (a
> >    miniscule fraction of what would be required to do the same with
> >    Squeak).
>
> Scott, I just looked at the site and see the Starter Kit download files
> for Linux, but the Programmer package only for Mac and Windows.  Is
> there a Linux version of Programmer, or will one or the other of the
> versions I saw work with the Starter Kit?

The MetaTalk Programmer package is built specifically and separately
for Mac and Windows so that people who want to use it don't have to
download and install the much larger Starter Kit.  Producing an
equivalent package for any UNIX system (including Linux) would be a
trivial matter, but it hasn't been done because we haven't run into
any K12 schools using Linux (guess that means we're part of the
problem rather than part of the solution!)  I'll make sure it gets put
up as a separate stack (which will require downloading and installing
the Starter Kit first) on ftp.metacard.com sometime today.  The
address will be:
ftp://ftp.metacard.com/MetaCard/mtp.mc.gz
  Regards,
    Scott

Scott Raney  raney@metacard.com  http://www.metacard.com